Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 6

We are beginning to plan our next vacation, and the family is up in the air about where to go. We had all initially planned to go to Disney, but I think we all agree that 7 days in Orlando would get boring for a group of adults. I still want to go for a long weekend, even if its just Scott and I, because I really want to go to Animal Kingdom and Seaworld. But I'd like to go somewhere else as well. I've been to all the places in the US that I really, really wanted to go (mainly Hawaii & California), but I want to eventually visit all 50 states, so I'm up for anything.

Our next mini-vacation will be Myrtle Beach in October. I'm looking forward to it, since it's been about 5 years since I went there. This will be the car show that I signed Scott up for as his anniversary gift. The hotel we are staying in looks awesome, and has its own indoor water park. I don't know if it will be warm enough to use it (or if perhaps its heated), or if we will even have time. But regardless, Myrtle Beach should be fun. Scott has never been there before, and I think he'll really like it.

Rodger and Sam will be here with Brayden tomorrow, and then Sunday we are going to visit Eric & Shannon. I'm excited to see all of them.

Day 6 - Yosemite to San Francisco

We woke up early on Day 6 and stopped at a place called Yosemite Forks Mountain House for breakfast. It was a family owned restaurant, and the food was delicious. I had French Toast, and it was awesome. After breakfast, we made our way to Yosemite.

The drive to (and through) Yosemite was the same as Sequoia - twisty and turny! We decided to go to Glacier Point, as you could see the valley and Half Dome from there. The road to Glacier Point is closed in the winter months, so we figured we might as well drive up it since we could. We ended up behind a huge bus that was going SO SLOW we had to stop several times to keep from hitting it. But let me tell you - if I were on that bus, I'd be having a panic attack, because that thing was way too big to be taking those turns! It looked like it was going to go right off the side of the mountain.

There was a pull of before we got to Glacier point that had amazing views of Half-Dome, some waterfalls, etc. The pictures don't do it justice. When we made it up to Glacier point, it was ridiculously hot. There was a gift shop up there (with no AC), so Scott and I bought drinks and an Icee to share. Then we took the short hike up to Glacier point and got some great pictures. We went back to the gift shop to get some souveniers, and after we got in line, the entire computer system went down. Their server had overheated (no big suprise) so we had to wait like half an hour to buy our stuff. It was ridiculous. We finally got back to the car and drove back down the mountain to a general store. We bought stuff to make sandwiches, and had a little picnic before we started making our way to San Francisco.

Driving out of the mountains seemed like it took absolutely forever. It was a joy to see a straight road! I think it took 2-3 hours to get out of the mountains. We had a good 6 hour drive to San Francisco from Yosemite. We arrived there around 6:00 that evening, I think. Now, in Yosemite, I would say it was somewhere between 95 and 100 degrees. We got out of the car in San Francisco, and it must have been no more than 65 degrees, and it was windy on top of that! The first place we stopped was 1748 Broderick Street - the Full House house! The door is no longer red, but the front of the house is unmistakeable. Next stop was the Painted Ladies, which is where they have a picnic in the opening credits of Full House. (This was my absolute favorite show growing up, by the way).

After taking a few pictures there, we decided to go see the Golden Gate Bridge. We had come into San Francisco from the South, so we did not see it driving in. It's just so amazing when you see it in person..its like, WOW. We drove across it and went up this road onto a mountain that our friends Laura and Bryan had suggested. By this point, I think it was in the 50's and still very windy, and we were all in short-sleeve shirts. It was so cold! We got some great pictures there, even though it was slightly foggy. After that, we went to check-in at our hotel (The Chelsea Motor Inn) and changed clothes. The hotel was so cute! We had real keys, and the rooms were beautiful with bay windows. We met up in the lobby (which was actually the parking lot) and we went to find something for dinner. The first place we came to was Mel's Drive-In, which was one block down from our hotel. It was about 9:30 or 10:00 by the time we ate, so I just had a BLT and some french fries. That was all we did for our first night in San Fran.


  1. I really like that photo of you and scott in front of the golden gate bridge. It looks cold - but it is a really cute photo of you two. You should get that one framed.

  2. The photos are great. I don't know how tour buses get down some of the roads here. The bus drivers are very talented. I would have been having a panic attack on the bus going up the mountain. hehehe