Monday, August 10, 2009

Things I learn on the Food Network

This past weekend, I started watching the Food Network. I figured maybe if I started watching it, I would learn something, or at the very least be inspired to cook. I was right on both accounts. These are the things I learned over the weekend while watching "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef":

1) How to make hard-boiled eggs.
This may sound ridiculous, but cooking hard-boiled eggs is actually not that easy. How do you know when they are done? I learned this weekend that all you have to do is place the eggs in a pot, add water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 13 minutes exactly, and VOILA!, you have perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs.

2) How to make roasted red peppers.
I absolutely LOVE roasted red peppers. On this particular episode of "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef", she was not making hard-boiled eggs or roasted red peppers. Her recipes were much more complicated. But that's the great thing about the Food Network - there are so many tips in every show that you can pick up, even if you don't get the overall picture. Anyway, you take a couple red peppers and put them on the grill, and essentially burn the heck out of them. You literally blacken them on all sides. Then stick them in a plastic bag to steam. I'm not sure how long you have to steam them - she didn't say that in the show - but 10 minutes is probably sufficient. Once they are steamed, you peel off the burnt peeling, and VOILA! Roasted Red Peppers!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try that hard-boiled egg method... my "method" is boiling the heck out of the until they crack. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I always did! She said that "Eggs should be two colors, white and yellow. Any green around the edges is a sure-sign of overcooked eggs."

    I'm a huge fan of exact directions on how to make things. LOL.

    ReplyDelete