Thursday, June 11, 2009

Some Book Reviews

I found that I can post my book reviews from Goodreads into my blog, which is pretty cool. Here are my most recent ones.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I have always been a fan of memoirs, and this was no exception. Gilbert's story takes you through a roller-coaster of emotions, where you find yourself laughing with her one moment, and wanting to reach into the book and hug her the next. She gives a raw account of her battle with depression, her struggle to find God, and the euphoric happiness she finds by the end of her journey.



I gave the book only four stars because it becomes quite difficult to read in the middle, when she describes her time at an Ashram in India. Difficult, as in, quite boring. However, I recognize it was an integral part of her journey to find God.



In all, a great book that will leave you ready to plan your spiritual journey around the world.


View all my reviews.


The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #1) The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I always enjoy books that expose me to different cultures, and this was no exception. It's an easy read with light content, and I look forward to reading more of the series.


View all my reviews.
The Glass Castle: A Memoir The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
An amazing story of resilience. Will make your grateful for whatever childhood you may have endured, and will leave you wanting to know more about the Walls family.


View all my reviews.

Marley & Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog Marley & Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Very cute book, will make you cry! And also will make you think twice about ever getting a dog - especially a lab!


View all my reviews.

The Sunday Philosophy Club (Sunday Philosophy Club, #1) The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I had a hard time with this book, as it was very stuffy and a bit TOO philosophical for my taste. I found myself skipping whole sections of philosophical fluff. I did not get attached to Isabel and found her character to be a bit boring.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment