Sunday, October 25, 2009

Photography, Birthday Party, and a Musical Reunion

Wow, has it been a busy weekend! But such a fun one. We got to see lots of friends and family this weekend, and did quite a bit of fun stuff.

On Saturday morning, Rory met us at our house, and we all headed down to Lynchburg. We had made plans to stop along the way at every old barn we could find to take a picture - this was a project we had planned for my mother-in-law's Christmas gift (shhh, don't tell.) Every time she comes to Virginia, she always says how she'd love to have a picture of all the old barns between Richmond and Lynchburg. So we made plans to take pictures of every old barn we could find, and make them into a photo book as one of her Christmas gifts. We had one little issue on Saturday morning, though: it was POURING down rain. Somehow, God was looking out for us, because whenever it was time to take pictures of the barns, the rain held up for us. Hopefully they all turned out ok - the leaves were gorgeous on the mountains.




We arrived in Lynchburg about 1:30pm and went to my parent's house to hang out before heading to Leah's birthday party. She was 8 years old on Friday, and her party was a FunQuest, the local skating rink. I hadn't been there in YEARS. It had changed a lot. We got to see all the family at the party, and Leah got plenty of nice gifts. She was more interested in skating than opening presents, I think. Here's a picture of me with all my siblings (and my hubby) outside FunQuest:



We went out to dinner with Shane, Mandy and Rory at Panera that evening, then went to the Lighthouse Cafe. It's a "Coffee House" at my parent's church where they have live music once a month. This particular night was special, because a 20-some year reunion was happening.

When I was a kid, my dad (Scotty) was in a band known as Firecreek. They played at local venues, mostly country music, and sometimes gospel. They were pretty successful, and as a matter of fact, country music singer Ricky Van Shelton was a part of their band before he became famous. But that was before I was born.

Anyhoo, one of the band members (the singer, David) also goes to my dad's church, and they often play together at the 9:30am service. They had made plans to play at the coffee house last night, and at the last minute, the bass guitar player backed out. So David emailed my dad and told him he had a new bass player that was filling in - it turned out to be another one of the old band members, Skeeter. So while it wasn't the entire band back together, it was a mini reunion. Here is the three of them (from left: Scotty, David, Skeeter):



I wish I had a picture of the three of them from 20-some years ago when they still had the band together. Listening to them play together again was pretty awesome. I brought back so many memories. I love hearing my dad play the piano - he's so good! I was able to get a couple videos last night, though they came out really dark (that's disappointing), and they don't do them justice. But here they are!

Edit: We were able to lighten both videos!

Burning Love:


How Great Thou Art:










1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great weekend. I love those old barns too.

    ReplyDelete